CIS Sole Trader FAQs

Discover answers to some common queries about getting paid through our CIS Sole Trader solution – a simple admin solution for self-employed sub-contractors registered in the UK Construction Industry Scheme (CIS).

Call 0800 612 8787 for a full explanation of our service and a take home pay calculation that’s tailored to your personal circumstances.



Request Pay Calculation

Call: 0800 612 8787

1. What is the CIS?

CIS is an abbreviation for the UK’s Construction Industry Scheme.

This is a government scheme for ensuring self-employed construction workers pay tax and NI deductions.

2. What work is covered by the CIS?

The Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) covers most construction work.

It includes:

  • construction work on permanent and temporary buildings/ structures
  • civil engineering work like roads and bridges.

For the purposes of the CIS, construction work includes:

  • preparing the site, eg laying foundations and providing access works
  • demolition and dismantling
  • building work
  • alterations, repairs and decorating
  • installing systems for heating, lighting, power, water and ventilation
  • cleaning the inside of buildings after construction work

3. What will my contract status be if I use Exceed's CIS Sole Trader Solution?

If you use Exceed’s CIS Sole Trader Solution to provide payment administration services, you will remain self-employed.

4. Do I need to register with the CIS?

Yes, if you have not already done so, you need to register as self-employed under the Construction Industry Scheme by calling HMRC on 0300 200 3210.

5. Will I have to complete a Self-Assessment Tax Form?

Yes. As a self-employed construction worker you will need to complete a Self-Assessment Tax Form.

You can either complete this online or via paper copy.

Please refer to HMRC for details.

6. Will I get a tax bill at the end of the year?

It depends on your personal situation, and if you were being paid with CIS deductions.